Grammar﹕All and every
【明報專訊】Bill: Guys, let's start refurbishing our lab. Remember what you are going to do?
MoMo: Yes, I will make sure that (1) all the windows are clean.
Dr Panda: I will make sure that (2) every tile is properly fixed on the ground.
Pat: I am going to check (3) all power switches to see if they work well.
Bill: Great, and I will repaint the walls... wait, where is the paint?
Eason: Ha ha! I have used (4) all your paint to decorate my new car! How do you like it?
Bill: Oh no! I shall buy some new paint!
The determiners "all" and "every" have similar meanings. They are used with different agreements.
◆For countable nouns:
Plural agreement (1)(3):
e.g. All children need love.
Singular agreement (2):
e.g. Every child is special.
◆For uncountable nouns:
Only "all" can be used (4).
e.g. He gave all his money to me.
◆Now you try
1. ( All / Every ) student in this class is clever.
2. Please clean ( all / every ) the equipment on that table.
3. I think ( all / every ) cats are cute.
4. I think ( all / every ) dog has its own character.
5. Don't eat ( all / every ) the chocolates. You will lose appetite for dinner.
(Answers on next text)
refurbish (v) 翻新
tile (n) 瓷磚
appetite (n) 胃口
[Smarties' Power English 第201期]